Sushovan De :: Home
Welcome to my corner on the internet. My name is Sushovan De (that's pronounced, and written as সুশোভন দে in Bangla).
I am currently employed at Google. I graduated with a Ph.D. from Arizona State University (ASU), in the CIDSE department. My research focused on Information Retrieval, Data Cleaning, and Probabilistic Databases.
I write code as a hobby, check out my projects from my various coding pages. I also tinker with photoshop from time to time, check out my wallpapers and website designs.
2008 - 2014: PhD in Computer Science, advisor:
Dr. Subbarao Kambhampati,
Arizona State University; GPA 4.00/4.00
2003 - 2007: Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and ECE,
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur; CGPA 8.27/10
Areas of interest, current projects:
Information Retrieval: Built an end-to-end system that does unsupervised data cleaning on both offline and autonomous databases. Used Bayesian networks to model the data, and used error model to find the best correction. Implemented a novel query rewriting scheme to efficiently get results from autonomous / web databases. New: You can now try the system yourself: BayesWipe Database Cleaner now allows you to clean any structured data.
Probabilistic Databases: Wrote novel algorithm for mining and evaluating functional dependencies on probabilistic data, including extending definitions for conditional and approximate dependencies to probabilistic data.
Mar 2014 – present: Google Inc.
I am a Software Engineer in the YouTube team at Google.
May – Aug 2011: IBM India Research Lab
Intern: Created a novel algorithm to annotate entities in documents using signals from the entire corpus. Used a linear programming technique to disambiguate entities crawled from various news sources. A patent application was filed for this algorithm.
July 2007 – July 2008: Microsoft India R&D
Software design engineer: Designed and wrote code in C++ for the Applets and Gadgets group in Windows 7.
May – July 2006: Yahoo Software Development, India
Intern: Created a prototype of a new version of Yahoo! Mail that targeted users with relatively older browsers. Achieved an award for exceptional performance.
Nov 2003 – Dec 2006: Innovations Lab, IIT Kharagpur
Active member and Group head of the Java group: implemented a solution to digitize the hall libraries. Implemented a solution for Training and Placement Cell, IIT Kharagpur.
- Car Scar: Awarded national top-10 in the "Big App on Campus" event. This is real-time action/strategy game written in XNA where the player plays against AI to attack an enemy car.
- Robonom: Featured on Windows Phone marketplace multiple times. A strategy game where the player has to find the smallest possible program to make a robot pick up all items in the map.
- Phoenix Bus Times: Utility to show upcoming public transport times at a glance.
- Quickpaste: Utility to save snippets that can be copied to clipboard in one touch.
A full list is on my research page.
Sushovan De, Yuheng Hu, Yi Chen, Subbarao Kambhampati (2014). BayesWipe: A Multimodal System for Data Cleaning and Consistent Query Answering on Structured BigData. IEEE BigData.
Munmun De Choudhury, Sushovan De (2014). Mental Health Discourse on reddit: Self-disclosure, Social Support, and Anonymity. International AAAI Conference On Weblogs And Social Media (ICWSM 2014)
Awards and Honors:
- Recipient of the National Talent Search Scholarship, NCERT, New Delhi.
- Recipient of the Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search Scholarship.
- Placed in the National top 1% in National Physics Olympiad and qualified for the national level.
- Achieved all India rank 313 in the IIT JEE mains examinations 2003 (Rank 152 in screening test).
- Achieved a state rank of 4th in the All India Engineering Entrance Examination 2003.
- Achieved rank 56 in the West Bengal Engineering Joint Entrance Examinations 2003.
Graduate: : Information Retrieval, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Theory of computation, Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, Distributed Multiprocessor Operating Systems, Software Engineering.
Undergraduate: Computer Architecture and Operating Systems, Soft Computing Tools in Engineering, VLSI Engineering, Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Information Theory and Coding.
- "Serial Communication Protocol to Ethernet convertor" - designed and implemented an embedded microprocessor based system to convert and multiplex serial data to Ethernet.
- "H.264 codec development using Cradle MSDP Hardware" - integration and implementation of modules to encode video to H.264 format.
- "Landcover Classification using Dempster-Shafer techniques" - coding and designing in a project to detect land usage type from satellite images.
- "Searching for Music files based on tone signature detection " - design and coding for a fuzzy-logic based software to search for music files based on the tunes.
- "Verilog implementation of a fast modified Booth's Algorithm multiplier".
- "Conoscenza - A library management software based on JSP" - for use in Vinod Gupta School of management, IIT Kharagpur.
- C#, C++, Java – over 8 years of active coding
- PHP, JSP, SQL and database management